welcome

I HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR CREATIONS
AND FIND THE ARTIST IN YOU
AND IN YOUR KIDS RELEASED TO CREATE AND HAVE FUN.

Monday 30 July 2012

SALMON GYOTAKU TUTORIAL


WILD PINK SALMON
GYOTAKU PRINT


ACRYLIC ON FABRIC
I placed my three panels of fabric on the backyard patio. I splattered greens, blues and white paints onto wet to damp unbleached muslin.


I twisted my fabric while still wet
 to give it further texture.


Once dry, the fabric is ready for printing.



Rinse your fish well and gently pat dry.
If your fish has a strong fish odor, rinse
with vinegar or dish detergent.
These fish will be dinner tonight therefore I
rinsed only with water.




Fill cavity with damp cloth or paper towel.
This fills out the stomach making it look more natural.



Fill the mouth and gill area with
paper towel to absorb moisture.
Removing the eyes may make a better print but not always.
You will need to experiment to find what works best. If the eyes are removed the cavity needs to be dry before printing. 




Support all fins with paper towel.



Paint the fish with your chosen colours.



Carefully place fabric over the fish.
 Gently rub the fabric over the fish
going from left to right. I'm using
the wooden handle of a paint brush
to bring out the detail in the fins, gills and tail.


When rubbing is complete lift the fabric from the fish.
A second print may be made without repainting the fish
if you desire a fainter print. Otherwise repaint the fish and
continue printing creating the effect  you want.



I added a splatter of white paint over the
print to give it a likeness of movement of white water.








My husband made a wooden frame which I
stretched the fabric over and held in place with a staple gun.




This frame is waiting for a few more embellishments...coming soon.






No comments: