welcome

I HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR CREATIONS
AND FIND THE ARTIST IN YOU
AND IN YOUR KIDS RELEASED TO CREATE AND HAVE FUN.

Tuesday 13 December 2011

1---2---3 CHRISTMAS TREE STAND TUTORIAL

 Several years ago my husband and I decided to have a fresh oversized Christmas tree and skip the 4 foot artificial one we had been using.
    We have made a family tradition of going out to a tree farm and cutting our own ever since. I make up goodie bags and hot chocolate for the kids and play their favorite Christmas carols. After much hunting for the perfect tree they coach Grampie as he lays on the ground to saw down the chosen tree.     We discovered an easy and efficient way to put our tree up:
                                                        1-2-3
  This year we have a modest 8 foot tree. Last year I convinced my husband that we needed a huge 14 footer. Well our tree stand does not work for that height as we found after much trial and error. Eleven feet would seem to be the best working option. Sadly we had to cut 3 feet from the bottom of the 14 footer. I did however gain a good supply of boughs from those 3 feet, enough to make swags and to share with my neighbors.

First trim the lower branches to allow the trunk to fit well into the container,

Measure and cut out a piece of plywood to fit the bottom of your container.

Nail the plywood to the trunk with several good size nails.
Once inside choose your location for the tree. Two people is all that is required to hoist the tree into the container. While one holds the tree steady the other starts fitting rocks into the container all around the trunk. As you can see we are using fist sized and slightly larger rocks to hold the tree in place. It does not move! Before all the rocks are in place we take turns eyeballing the tree, from several angles, to make sure it is straight. Once your rocks are in, water the tree and start decorating. I always place a plastic drop cloth or table cloth under the container just in case it develops a leak. I also line the container with a couple of garbage bags to keep the water where I want it and not on my floor.
    Just reverse the order when it is time to take the tree down.

No comments: