welcome

I HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR CREATIONS
AND FIND THE ARTIST IN YOU
AND IN YOUR KIDS RELEASED TO CREATE AND HAVE FUN.

Wednesday 18 January 2012

TOTE BAG TUTORIAL



CUTE. . . . SMART



I use cardboard from cereal boxes to make my pattern, always jotting reminder notes to myself.
This bag, when finished, will have the following dimensions: bottom panel 10" X 7", end panels 10"X 7" side panels 10" X10"



The bag is lined with a variety of pockets on all four panels.
I cut, label and assemble all pieces for the lining first.
 

The outside of the bag will have pockets on the end panels only.
Here I have cut, labeled and assembled all pieces as well as the strips for the straps and the decorative bow.


I have added a grommet to one of the inside pockets for a convenient place to keep keys. I have also sewn a patch on with the name of my bags, Heritage Woods Totes


Here is the seam side out of the lining of the bag. Each side and end panel is sewn to the bottom panel the sides are then are sewn together. I usually like to reinforce the bottom panel by using two pieces of fabric and then sewing them together every 1/4 " back and forth. This gives a stronger, stiffer form to your bag.



This pictures the inside lining of your bag. You will notice how I love having plenty of pockets. They quickly become filled with an assortment of chapstick, hand lotion, coupons, receits, calendar, calculator, gloves, passport, wallet, camera, phone, tissue, crayons, cookies. . you get the idea.
 

Next sew together the outside panels of your bag with the seams facing in. You will now simply place the lining inside the outside shell. The two will mold together nicely with a little encouragement.



Sew your bow or your choice of decoration, and your "clasp" elastic on the ouside shell before sewing the lining and outside shell together. This will prevent the anchor stitching from showing on your lining. I sew my fabric into a strip about 33" long, make the bow and then cut it back to the desired length. If your strip of fabric is too short it is very difficult to work with.
 

Also sew you button on the other side panel, Your elastic band will loop over this button to allow some closure of your bag. I use covered pony tail elastics.


All around the top of your bag fold the raw edges together pinning them in place.


As you come to each corner insert at least an inch of the ends of the straps, pinning them into place. I made my straps about 33" long and adjusted them to the desired length by gathering the strap to make a bow.


About 4 to 5 hours later. . . :)


1 comment:

rebeccaquek said...

Came out really nice! Great job!