welcome

I HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR CREATIONS
AND FIND THE ARTIST IN YOU
AND IN YOUR KIDS RELEASED TO CREATE AND HAVE FUN.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

MOOSE HIDE MOCCASINS AND MITTS



MOOSE HIDE MOCCASINS
 This week saw my grandchildren head off to school in some of my Arctic clothing. They each had a "dress for the Arctic day" in their classes. After careful instruction (I wanted these items back in the same shape I was sending them) they headed into their classrooms moccasin clad and heavy mitts ready to go. Our outside temperature was above freezing making it hard to appreciate how well these articles can perform to keep one toasty warm.
I think these would be great projects to do with your older kids especially when studying indigenous peoples.

 I made these moccasins while working in Labrador. I was able to buy the moose hide, rabbit fur, sinew, and beads locally. Patterns circulated the community freely. The local Inuit people were always very generous in sharing how to make their traditional clothing.

A free pattern may be found at:   jumaka.com/moccasins

I have not used this North American supplier of hides, beads and sinew etc.www.crazycrow.com/craft-supplies Their catalogue looks to have anything you might need.

Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier, mail order or store?


MOOSE HIDE MITTS

I made these mitts while working in Pond Inlet on Baffin Island .  After examining a regular store bought mitten made from man made materials I fashioned my own pattern. The cold, sometimes minus 40, calls for the warmth of moose hide lined with rabbit fur and trimmed with coyote.

The colourful, traditional Mitt strings, were made for me by a lovely Indian lady from Old Crow, Yukon.


No comments: