welcome

I HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR CREATIONS
AND FIND THE ARTIST IN YOU
AND IN YOUR KIDS RELEASED TO CREATE AND HAVE FUN.

Friday 2 March 2012

THE ELF AND THE DORMOUSE


The Elf and the Dormouse is one of my Grandsons' favorite poems. I made this sculpture from dough, added the poem and framed it for his birthday gift.


Sculpting Dough Recipe
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of salt
4 tsp. alum or cream of tartar
2 Tbls. Vegetable oil
1 cup of water
Mix all ingredients by hand until it forms a ball, sculpt item to be made, let air dry for a week before painting. I used acrylic paints. For the Elf's hair and the mouse's whiskers I clipped off pieces from my makeup brushes, paint brushes would work as well.



I used a generous amount of white glue to hold the piece together and to secure it to the background of heavy cardstock paper. Once completed I covered the sculpture in clear shellac. Because it is a personal gift for my grandson I decided to print out the poem by hand. A printer  would have made a neater result but less personal.

The Elf and the Dormouse
Under a toadstool crept a wee elf, out of the rain to shelter himself.
Under the toadstool, sound asleep, sat a big dormouse all in a heap.
Trembled the wee elf, frightened, and yet fearing to fly away lest he get wet. To the nest shelter-maybe a mile! Sudden the wee elf smiled a wee smile.
Tugged til the taodstool toppled in two, holding it over him gayly he flew.
Soon he was safe home, dry as could be, soon woke the dormousse-"Good gracious me! Where is my toadstool?" loud he lamented.
And that's how umbrellas first were invented.
by Oliver Herford

No comments: